Tuesday, September 20, 2011

POPPY!!! (Feb-Sept 2011)




When we got married, David wanted to wait till he started med school before we started a family. I wasn't so sure on waiting a whole year, so I just prayed that we would both know when the time was right...

Sometime in February, siting at the table, Dave said that he drove to the post office earlier in the week, and as he pulled in he had this overwhelming exciting feeling to start a family just completely come over him. As he was telling me this, I am freaking out just a bit. 1. We've only been married for 5 months and 2. I was expecting to "feel" something first and have to get him on board. We decided that we needed to seriously pray about it so we could both be on the same page, what ever page that might be.

The Murphy family had planned a family temple trip to do some greek names at the end of March. When the day to go came, we weren't sure about going because Papou was in the hospital and going from bad to worse. Big Dave decided we should go and that there was really no better place to be. While in the temple I was SO distracted! I kept looking at the name I had and rearranging the letters to make a new name, or adding a letter her or there, or taking a letter our to create cute little girl names. I did this over and over in my head.    Occasionally I would tell my self to pay attention and focus on the session, and pray for Ya Ya and Papou but I would alway come back to making up new names.

After going through the veil, the temple worker held my hand and repeated a phrase I had just said to him earlier. He told me it meant that families are forever and there is nothing more important than my own posterity. He only talked to me for about a minute or so, but his conversation really hit me, mostly because no temple worker had every talked to me like that before. My mind was really starting to race.

While waiting for Dave to come through, Holly randomly came up to me and said, "It will be so great when you have your own children and you get to see them go through the temple and go on missions! There is nothing better" I just kind of laughed to myself and thought message received. It just all hit me at once that is was time to start our family. I was anxious to talk to Dave and see if he had any of the same feelings.

Of course he didn't ha ha ha. He didn't need to. He already had his confirmation. But he was really excited as we talked about it in the Celestial room.

Papou passed away that night. I was grateful to have been to the temple early that day and to have been thinking of our posterity, knowing that families are forever and we could see Papou again.

So Dave and I decided we would start trying to start our family. I hadn't been feeling well, so I went to see Dr. Nunn N.D. He put me on armour thyroid to get me back on my feet. He suggested we wait a few months before getting pregnant, even though we had already been trying.  Dave didn't like that suggestion, so again we prayed about it. We knew we were doing the right thing...2 weeks later I was late. Dave told me to wait till the end of the week to take a test so I waited. Tuesday...I waited. Wednesday I was getting antsy. REALLY antsy! Thursday...I couldn't take it any more! So first I took a little on line test. I just wanted to see if what I was experiencing had anything to do with being pregnant! Sure enough, based on my answers it said I was pregnant! I was almost 5 weeks along! It showed the stage our baby was in and said it was about the size of a poppy seed! So I went to Smith's and bought a Smith's brand test. It was definitely positive. I had a surge of emotions! I was so excited and completely thrilled and scared to death. I wanted to call Dave right away, but I didn't want to give him the exciting news over the phone. I left the test on the bathroom counter and went to Dr. Frogley's.

I was hoping I would get home before he did, but I wasn't fast enough. I walked in the door to see the back side of Dave standing over the toilet looking at the test. He turned around (while trying not to pee everywhere ha ha) and had the BIGGEST smile on his face. It was too cute! He immediately went through the same emotions I had experienced earlier. He was freaking out and completely happy. I had never seen him like that before. When he found out I had bought an off brand test, he was not satisfied! Off brand was not good enough for his baby! Ha Ha so we went back to Smith's. He bought the most expensive one there. But not before he researched them all on his phone. Ha Ha that is sooo Dave!!! We picked up some steaks too, to celebrate.

Time to retest...(mid April)



We couldn't believe it! Dave was so cute. He started pacing around the house and telling me all the things I needed to do. He already had someone for me to see at the hospital. The list went on and on of things he wanted me to do. I will never forget how quickly he went into "man mode" We decided to wait for several more weeks before we told anyone. We just wanted to makes sure it was going to "stick".

We decided we would drop the bomb for fathers day. We made the cutest shirts to give to our dads. They said "worlds best grandpa, est. 2012" Unfortunately we had to have my dad open it over the phone, since they were in Arizona. He opened it and said "What? Are you guys pregnant?" I could already hear the tears in his voice. We had him wear the shirt to "tell" my mom, and apparently she didn't get it for a while. He had to make his chest really obvious to get her to read it. Ha Ha Ha.  We were able to record the Murphy's response.   We waited to have Dave open our gift last, and it took FOREVER!!! Ha Ha Ha. Holly's face says it all.





It was so much fun telling our families we were going to have a baby, especially since Poppy is the first grandchild on both sides! 

I felt the sickness that goes with pregnancy. In the beginning I felt so nauseated, but I never threw up. I would hope to throw up cause I just felt so sick, it seemed like it would bring me some relief. Things carried on like that for the entire first trimester. I never cooked. Hardly ate. Slept a lot! The site of ANY green vegetables would completely turn my stomach, same with chicken and eggs. I wanted to each creamy dairy things. I ate a TON of cheese sticks, and drank lemon water with stevia in it, as well as the usual, saltines. I was just waiting to get past the 12 week mark to start feeling better. Unfortunately, at 12 weeks things went from bad to worse! I was extremely tired. Dave would joke that you couldn't leave me alone, without stimulation for even a minute, or I would fall asleep. I slept in late and napped everyday. And I started throwing up! That is the worst! I could barely keep an english muffin down for breakfast and lunch would be something processed like a pop tart. At some point what little I had in my stomach would come up. By night time I would finally have an appetite, and for about 6 weeks the only thing I wanted to eat was Arby's! A roast beef with curly fries and a chocolate shake! Although I wasn't eating a lot of food, it was obviously not the best food choices, needless to say my weigh went up and up! After my Arby's phase, then I got really into pho! It was something about the broth that I craved! We were eating there about 2 a week at least and my weight really skyrocketed! I figured it was probably because of the sodium, (which I was totally bloated and retaining water!  You could see it!) I was completely miserable. I hated being pregnant. I spent most of my days on the couch (thank goodness for netflix!!!!) but it was really getting depressing! Some days it was a chore to shower. Poor Dave didn't get a meal fixed for him for 5 whole months. But he never complained! He was totally supportive and took great care of me. I am so lucky to have him. Finally, at week 20, I felt like a human being again! It was a long 5 months, but some how we survived it! 

At 20 weeks we went to get an ultrasound to make sure everything we developing properly and to find out the sex of the baby. (I think its a girl. I just have felt that way from day one. Not sure why. I would love a boy, and am not biased one way or the other, I just think this first one is a girl) But we wanted to be sure with the ultrasound! Of course after 30 minutes of looking around, the tech couldn't tell cause Poppy wouldn't open her legs to let us have a peek. She was looking right at us with her head on the placenta for a pillow. Probably pretty comfy. Sooo... we don't know what we are going to do now, as it is advised you don't get more ultrasounds unless its medically needed. Already she is being a little stinker! And having her own way. I wonder where she gets that from? 

No comments:

Post a Comment